A sensitivity reader is someone who can help you avoid offensive and harmful portrayal of marginalized communities. Our job is to read through your manuscript and offer our perspective in how you wrote a marginalized character/community. A sensitivity reader is not a beta reader or an editor and as one I won’t be critiquing your writing, structure, characters, plot, etc (unless, of course, you also hire me as a beta reader ^^).
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- I’m asexual (grayasexual, to be specific)
- I’m aromantic (possibly demiromantic, though I’ve never felt romantic attraction)
- I’m m-spec (when I do feel sexual attraction, the gender of the person doesn’t matter).
- I’m a closeted agender transmasculine person.
- I’m a white Brazilian who lives in Salvador, Bahia (Brazil).
- I’m fluent in both Portuguese and English.
I’m extremely passionate about the representation of aro, ace, nonbinary and Brazilian characters in fiction. As an aroace enby Brazilian who grew up consuming american media and who never saw xirself in books, movies, etc, I’m committed to doing my best so others won’t go through the same. That includes writing my own aro/ace/Brazilian/enby characters, of course, but also helping others write theirs.
I’ve written about my experiences as an Brazilian aro/ace non-binary person. You can check them below:
My work as a sensitivity reader is not an endorsement. If I read your manuscript, I won’t share any information about it (be it about the story or my opinions on it) with anyone before the publication (I’m okay with signing a non-disclosure agreement as well). However, I’m a reader and a reviewer, and I might review your book after it has been released. If I do so, it’ll be based on the finished, published version, not the one you sent me.
I require at least a week to read all of your manuscript & to send you my report. If there are any delays, I’ll let you know through e-mail. Said report will be from one to three pages long, depending on what I have to say about your story/characters. Along with it I’ll send you a feedback form with the option of giving me a testimonial. You’re by no means obliged to answer it, though it would help me a lot.
Only young adult and adult manuscripts. I accept fantasy, science fiction and romance (all sub genres). I don’t accept literary fiction or middle grade books.
PRICING & PAYMENT
- $15 for short stories of 1.000-5.000 words for one are of expertise (+ half of price for one additional area of expertise).
- $35 for short stories of 5.001-15.000 words for one are of expertise (+ half of price for one additional area of expertise).
- $55 for novelettes of 15.001-30.000 words for one are of expertise (+ half of price for one additional area of expertise).
- $85 for novellas of 30.001-50.000 words for one are of expertise (+ half of price for one additional area of expertise).
- $165 for a manuscript read of 60.000-100.000 words for one are of expertise (+ half of price for one additional area of expertise).
- $200 for a manuscript read of 100.001 words or more for one are of expertise (+ half of price for one additional area of expertise).
Payment is made only through Paypal. All services under $125 must be paid before I start working on your story. For services over $125, I’ll be accepting payment of 50% before I start and of the other 50% when I’m finished. I’ll send you the report when the second payment is done. Payment is nonrefundable.
Marginalized authors get 10% of discount on services above $85. You can use the contact form at the bottom of the page, the contact page or e-mail me at renoliveira96 at gmail dot com.